Thursday, August 20, 2009

Couponing!!


Ok, I have used coupons in the past but never like I did today! Earlier this summer, my sister-in-law, Jenny, got me interested in the couponing idea. It's an actual job and I have been following websites and watching how it's done and it really is a different mind set. For example, before when I had a coupon, I usually still get the larger size, but I have learned to print off multiple coupons and get the smaller size making some items free or I even can earn money! The down sides are, you have to buy what is on sale, you have to print most of the coupons off from your computer, you have to be familiar with the stores and what is on sale(or follow the websites I follow..they tell you everything you need to know). Another complaint is that the food is often pre-packaged and not the healthiest(but check out my fresh items below).
Well, all 3 kids were in school today so Brock and I headed out to Target on a shopping/couponing adventure. I had a folder with my coupons in it(6 to a sheet if you print it landscape style) and spent about an hour. A couple of things were priced high enough that it didn't make a good deal at this time, so I held onto those coupons for another time. I also only chose coupons of items we would normally eat to start out. Here is what I got:

Pineapple $3.99 with $1.00 off =$299
2lbs of apples $1.48 with 2 /$1 off=$1.78
1.5 lb bananas $.58 with $0.50 off=$0.47
I found 4 packages of combos crackers clearanced for $1.25 and 4/$1.00 coupons=$1.00
2 bags of Purina Dog Food on sale for $4.74 with 2/$3.50 man. coupons & 2/$2.00=
-$1.50 I made!!! WOO HOO!!!
2 boxes of cereal-general mills $2.54 with 2 man. $1.00 off $ 2 store $1.00 off=$1.08
2 boxes of Annie's crackers-$2.39 with 2/$.50 =$3.20 for both
2 boxes of Archer Farms crackers-$2.19 with 2/$1.00 off=$2.19 for both
2 boxes of kudos-$2.54 with 2/$1.00 off=$3.00 for both
2 Artisian Farms french bread(small size) $.99 each with 2/$100 off= FREE
2 Dove deoderant $3.29 each with 2/$2.00 man. coupon and 2/$1.00 store coupon=$0.58 WOO HOO!!
Box of 9 of goldfish snack size-$3.99 with 1 man. coupon $1.00 and 1 store $.50=$2.50
Poptarts(tried to pick the healthiest flavor.LOL)-1.46 with 2/1.00 off=$92
14 packs of gum on clearance for $0.58 a piece...we chew a lot of gum!! =$7 something
Glad ware plastic bowls-set of 3 on clearance for $1.74
Archer Farms salsa-on sale for $2.50
limes-on sale 3 for $1.00
1 box of generic cereal- on clearance for $1.74
package of twixles cookies-3.09 (I guess I forget to give my $1.00 off coupon;()
On the border thins chips on sale for $2.99--sooo yummy! like Chilis chips
2 ovaltines-on sale for $2.85 each
Make-up remover-no sale but I needed it $4.49

So after the clearance prices, my bill came to $97.72 and after handing in the embarrassing coupons, which she told me people do it all the time and not to be embarrased;)...I saved another $41.07!!!
All these groceries for $56.65


After all is said and done, it was well worth it and now I have even more ideas and thoughts, but the key I found is 1)to always look for a STORE coupon and a MANUFACTURERS coupon and you can use both together and then print more than one coupon at a time and buy as many as it will let you. And the key 2)to purchase the least expensive item you are allowed..for example, I had the man. coupon on general mills cereal and the store coupon on that cereal, so i found the least expensive cereal and used that. Same with the poptarts, the coupon was for any Kelloggs snacks and poptarts were cheapest.

Fun day! I would be happy to show anyone how to get the coupons and now I have an excited blog to remind me how I felt after to keep me going and remind me how this is all done! Off to Walgreens tomorrow!!

I'd love to hear any other great finds anyone else has found!

No comments: