Friday, February 20, 2009

My sisters






I hope my openness in sharing my feelings is not too personal, but I am overcome with emotions and wanted to share.
I am such a lucky girl. I have been blessed with a really large family, mostly sisters. I have 4 older sisters who have played the sisterly as well as motherly role often in my life and a younger sister and younger sister-in-law. I also married into a family with 5 more sister-in-laws!
I have been reflecting lately on life and the struggles we face while down on earth. I have been inspired by my sisters and how they have handled life's challenges and lead their lives with courage and strength!
I sometimes feel as though I suffer through my challenges in silence because I'm not always sure how to deal with difficulties that I don't know how to change and so I try to just move on and hope to pass them by. So many of our trials can be so inward and therefore we aren't forced to face them and overcome with.
However, as I have watched my sister's face more outward challenges in life, I have been in awe at how they have dealt with their situations. They truly are an inspiration to me and I often go through each sister and think of how they have inspired me in my life and help me to have a desire to be better.
In no particular order, I would like to share some of the inspirational moments I have seen in their lives.
-Selflessness by serving others even when it's not convenient or easy
-Obedience to the Gospel of Jesus Christ and serving in demanding callings
-Putting family first
-Patience in trials and while waiting for answers and their rewards
-Determination to fight hard for what they want and/or know is right
-Accepting challenges that have come their way even if it was brought on by someone else's choice.
-Holding their lives together on the outside even if they feel things crumbling on the inside
-Not having self pity and learning to find the joy even in sorrow
-Forgiveness...
In one way or another I have seen all of these wonderful traits in each of my sisters. We all lead very different lives yet really have so many similarities and that is what keeps us close. I'm sure if you asked them how they are such amazing girls, the answer would be the same. We have great parents who have loved us and taught us well and been great examples. They each know who they are and that our purpose on earth is bigger than our short time spent here. They all know they are daughters of God and have divine potential!
I will forever be grateful for the examples they show, the love they share and the openness in their trials. Although I know it's hard to share their trials with others and be so vulnerable, it shows a great sign of humility and allows others, like me, to be inspired by them!
Even in life's difficulties, we have found NUMEROUS times to laugh and play and have great times too! I love you all, even the sister-in-laws not pictured and brother and brother-in-laws!

1 comment:

4 barkers said...

Having sisters is SO great. i wish i was as close to mine that you guys are to yours. It was good seeing you guys in August!